Brain freeze occurs when gulping down that frosty treat too quickly, and the extremely cold touches the roof of your mouth.
Fast facts on ice cream headaches
- The ice-cream Headache medical term is Sphenopalatine Ganglion Neuralgia.
- Scientists aren’t sure why it happens, but they think it might be produced by abrupt change in the blood flow to your brain.
- The most common cure is warming the roof of the mouth to prevent this fast constriction and reduce the headache.
- If you tend to get migraines, it might be worse!
- Our body does this, probably as part of a self-defense mechanism.
Any cold provocation can cause Nerve Pain that results in a brain freeze.
- Freeze of the capillaries of the sinuses by an extreme cold stimulus causes the nerves to react.
- A drastic change in body temperature.
What can you do about it?
- Try to warm the frosty treat in your mouth before swallow.
- Take a minute and have a swig of warm water.
- Press your tongue to the roof of your mouth.
- Cover your mouth and nose with your hands and breath quickly to increase the flow of warm air to the palate.
You may like this video:
Doctor Consultation is now just a WhatsApp away!
☎️ +521 (624) 1043-910